Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Working Again

Well, today was my first day on the new job. I can tell already that I am going to like it. This is the biggest church by far that I have ever worked in. I was so excited about being there today that I didn't want to leave this afternoon. It is just so nice to have an office again and something productive to do. I haven't felt this settled since I left TN in August. I knew in my heart that the time in Florida was not going to work out so I never felt settled in that position. Eight months is a long time to feel uprooted.

I didn't think I'd ever get Leah in bed tonight. It took her forever to get her homework done. I think she was really too tired to concentrate and that is what made it so difficult. She also had to have a bath and a shampoo tonight and that takes time - especially the hair! Whenever she goes to bed so late I feel frazzled because I know she will be tired tomorrow and it cuts into my time to get things done. To add to the stress, the dog got into the trash this morning while I was in the shower and evidently got something that didn't agree with him. He has peed, puked and pooped. I have used Resolve carpet cleaner in every room in the apartment. He seems better now but the place still has that funny smell.

They had the Scholastic Book fair at Leah's school today and I was able to join her and help her pick out some books. Everything was half price so we stocked up on some books for her to read over the summer. Her teacher had put some books aside as a "wish list" type of thing and I bought them all for her. There weren't that many and anyone who can get my daughter to love reading as much as she does now deserves to have her wish list fulfilled. I counted last night on the tally sheet and Leah has read 35 books in the last month. Talk about one thrilled mom!

I didn't have to be at work until 1 p.m. today so it afforded me the time to do the book fair and I was able to have coffee with another mom from Leah's class. Her family moved here right before the holidays so we share the "new" feeling. She took me to this little place this morning called Hen Peck. It's a gas station that has a store/restaurant/bakery. It was wonderful. It is right down the road from Leah's school. it is a place that I will definitely go to again.

It does feel natural - I have clothes in the dryer. The last three churches I've worked in everyone pretty much wore jeans unless there was a funeral or something but this church everyone is more professional. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention to my wardrobe. I don't mind really but I tell you, I really missed my comfortable tennis shoes today. I was wearing a pair of dress sandals with a heel and oh my - it has been awhile since I've done that! Walking down the stairs was the killer - I looked like I was 80 years old!

I've rambled here but I'm excited to be employed again. I just hope that I'm a good fit for the job. I think I will be but you never know until you get into it. Time will tell. I hope that I'm here for a good while.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hip, Hip, Hooray! I'm so happy for you and for Leah! You both are now home.

Call me! I just might call you today while waiting in line to pick up Sam but I don't know when will be a good time for you.

Kim said...

So, I am guessing that work is keeping you pretty busy. :)

When do we get the next update?