Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lessons From Unexpected Sources

This morning started out like so many others for me - I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. When I woke up and looked at the clock the usual dread gripped me as I rushed out of bed, telling Leah it was time to get up as I ran to the shower. This was the morning of the "fast shower" - shampoo the hair and use whatever suds rolled down on my body as soap. I call it the three minute shower. As I opened the shower door and reached for my towel, I once again called out to Leah that it was time to get up. I brushed my teeth and hair, knowing my hair was going to have to dry on its own today - no time for the blow dryer. I was dressed by the time Leah got out of the bathroom. Even though I was rushing her along, I marveled at her ability to go with the flow and be happy. She was able to get ready while still engaging in the things around her, mainly our silly puppy who makes her laugh with his antics. This morning was no different. He tugged at her socks as she tried to put them on and her giggles were contagious. It made me slow down and realize that we would be ok. As she tied her shoes, Oreo untied them and then would jump at her shoes and bark. He is just so silly and so full of personality. She always puts him in his kennel before we leave and I noticed how she hugs him tight and says "We'll be back, I promise." She then kisses the top of his head as she gently puts him in. He wags his tail and licks her hand as she lets go and closes the door. It is a morning ritual that is touching - and one that I so often overlook. Once in the car she chatted happily about what they were supposed to do in school today to celebrate 100 days of school. She talked about her friends at the JCC and how she hoped they would be able to play Ga Ga again today as she loved that game and has become really good at it. I don't know why I was more attuned to her today that usual, but her joy is what struck me. She is a truly happy and joyful person. She finds the good, the positive, and goes with that. She has always done that - even as a baby. It has completely turned my day around as I decided to follow her lead. How does that go . . . "And a little child shall lead them?"

No comments: