Thursday, May 29, 2008

Another Day in Paradise

Oh some days the bed just feels so good. Today was one of those days. I called my boss, told him I was sick and would not be in; talked to the Singles Minister and told her I wouldn't be able to keep our lunch date and took Leah to Holiday MAC. I came home, crawled back under the covers and didn't see the light of day again until 4:45 when I woke up. Talk about being shocked! I didn't set the alarm because I thought I'd sleep maybe an hour or two at the most. I got up and had to immediately leave to pick Leah up. We had supper at Panera and then came home and had a very quiet evening. She did get a bath and shampoo so I at least feel like I accomplished something. I do feel better. I must have really needed the rest or I wouldn't have been able to sleep that long. It's not often that I allow myself to really take time off and take care of myself.

Tomorrow our new senior pastor will be in town and wants to meet with the staff at 4:30 p.m. I hope the meeting won't take too long. I'm also in hopes that this guy will be personable and will genuinely care for his staff and not carry such a heavy political agenda. I know the church is huge and politics usually run the big ones, but I can at least hope. I have amazed myself that in my first month here I've kept to myself pretty much, have not emotionally invested myself therefore I've not pulled any of my rebellious stunts. I just feel that the church today doesn't meet the needs, is not spiritual enough and I'm just stupid enough to go against the grain too much of the time. This used-to-be rule follower has become a somewhat rule breaker and I know I can't continue to do that if I'm going to keep a roof over our heads and food on our table. It was so much more fun when I didn't have so much at stake!

This past weekend we had three new sets of neighbors to move into our building alone. Two apartments upstairs and the one behind mine. A retired couple from New York moved in behind me. They signed a four month lease, rented their furniture and told their grown son they would give it four months. If they didn't like it they were going to move back home. Upstairs behind me we have a gay couple (male) and across from them is Eddie, the obvious body builder. He is divorced, has a 7-year-old son and has a great sense of humor. It's a whole new flavor to our building. We are definitely a mix. That will be for another blog entry. Apartment living is definitely not for the faint hearted!

Well, off to bed for me. I plan to go to work tomorrow and I can't over sleep.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like you really needed the sleep after all. Glad that you got it and that you're feeling better.

Hey, and you did get something more than getting Leah her bath and shampoo...you got your much needed rest!

Can't wait to hear about the new Senior Pastor!