Friday, May 23, 2008

My "Big" Second Grader

OK, it's official - I have a second grader. Didn't we just transition from sippie cups and diaper bags??? I'm not sure I'm ready for this. First grade flew by at a frightening pace. Of course the fact she was in three different schools might have had something to do with that. But still, I feel like she just entered kindergarten. I'm trying to plan out the summer so that it feels like summer for both of us. It's going to be a bit tricky with work and my school but I'll get it figured out. I'll be able to keep her in the accelerated reading program and that will be a blessing as she'll be earning points during the summer that will be used in second grade. Her teacher explained it all to me but I'm still not totally clear on it yet. I want to keep her in the habit of studying so I've found some good websites for math and reading that she can go and play games and not realize that she is actually still learning. Summer MAC will be fun as they'll do a lot of field trips and that sort of thing but I'm going to miss her this summer. These are the things that I used to do with her and still want to do. But, that opportunity died when Ray did. I call it the only parent syndrome. We make it work though so I'll stop whining.

I loaded more songs on my IPod last night. I went for more eclectic choices - I'm branching out. It's fun though, I like being able to listen to different artists. Right now I'm listening to Nora Jones - one of my favorites.

The puppy, Lily, is sound asleep in front of the front door on the tile. It must feel cool to her opposed to the carpet. She's a feisty little thing. She barked for a solid hour this morning wanting us to get up. I was so in hopes she would just shut up but of course she didn't, so we got up early. I really wanted to sleep in on my day off but oh well. Gosh, am I into whining today or what???

I need to take a shower and get us out the door. I have no idea what fun things Leah and I will get into this afternoon but I'm sure we'll find something. She's not shy about suggesting things. I'm sure a little bit will involve shopping. Her favorite thing to do. She does need new shoes - again. That is her favorite thing to buy so that will definitely be a big hit with her! Maybe we'll hit the pool a little later. She loves that as well.

OK, off to the showers for me.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Congrats to Leah!!!! Big second grader at last.

Sounds like she will have a great summer and you will too. :)

Could you send me the websites that you are going to use? I might use them with Sam. Thanks!

Nora Jones is good....glad to hear you branching out in your music choices. Good for the brain. :)