Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just Call Me Snotty

I've been called snotty for several things but tonight I mean it in the form of cannot breathe. Even though I've taken nighttime cold/sinus meds, I still absolutely cannot breathe through my nose and that just drives me insane. I made soup for supper tonight in the hope that it would help but it didn't. Leah didn't like the soup so she had left over chicken pasta. What would I do without leftovers??

I enjoyed my four day weekend. We got together with friends yesterday and barbequed out. Afterwards we played board games because it was raining outside. It was a lot of fun. It was hard going to work today; especially since I didn't feel all that great but at least I got a lot done. Hopefully I'll get some sleep soon so I'll feel like going tomorrow.

It was an interesting weekend with Leah, to be sure. Saturday Kathy and I visited by the pool in my apartment complex while her grandson Wesley and Leah swam. They had a great time and spent about 2 hours in the pool. As we were leaving Wesley complained about his feet hurting and genuinely seemed to have difficulty walking. When I talked to Kathy later that evening she told me that the bottom of Wesley's feet were pretty raw so we concluded that the bottom of our pool was rough and that he was tender footed. Swimming shoes would be on the next Wal-Mart list. When Leah and I were on our way home from one of our many trips of errands, she told me that her toes were hurting. She went on to explain it to me like this: "Mommy, it's not my big toe, or the second toe, but the third toe. You know, the one that got roast beef." At that moment I had to admit that Ray and I had done the "Piggy Went to Market" just a time or two with her. I loved that moment of innocence that I rarely see from her anymore. I especially enjoyed it after another conversation we had in the car on Thursday. Yes, most of our profound conversations take place in the car. We ate supper with John, Kathy & Wesley Thursday evening and as usual, Leah and Wesley did their share of fighting like brother and sister. That was one of the main reasons we decided to do carry out and eat at Kathy's house so we could put them outside and we could actually have an adult conversation. As we were pulling out of their driveway to go home, Leah piped up from the backseat and told me that she really did love Wesley. I told her I knew she did and that he loved her too. They've known each other since they were infants. Leah then told me that she had something to tell me that she knew was going to make me angry. I told her it probably wouldn't, so go ahead and tell me. She then told me Wesley told her not to tell me as I'd get angry. I told her no, I wouldn't, go ahead and tell me. It turned out that they had a few moments of kissing each other - on the lips. My mind quickly raced ahead ten years and I knew that I didn't want to blow it now or she'd never confide in me - now or ten years down the road. I stayed calm - on the outside - and told her that it was fine to kiss Wesley and for him to kiss her, but on the cheek for now. I explained to her that they were too young for the lip kissing thing. She said ok, she didn't know that and that they wouldn't kiss on the lips anymore. At age six or seven I never thought about kissing a boy on the lips and I was surprised that they had. I know even the Disney Channel shows it happening so much younger than when we were young. I told Kathy that I wasn't upset about it, afterall, look at Leah's genetic makeup. If she follows in her birth mother's footsteps, I'll be a grandmother in just 9 short years. Now THAT'S a very frightening thought! May the pendulum swing back to the middle and maybe even more back on the side of innocence where she still thinks of her toes and "Piggy Went to Market."

I'm getting sleepy but am still totally stuffed up. I think I'll go read for awhile. I would study but I'm too drowsy at this point.

1 comment:

Kim said...

And to think that at one time Leah and Sam had an arranged marriage! Guess Sam has some serious competition. :)

Sounds like fun was had by all!

I hope that you get better really soon. I'm not feeling all that great lately either.

Oh...did you call me this past weekend?