Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Alone Time

The puppies are asleep and Leah is finally asleep so this is my time. I just finished an excellent book that centered around the lives of a group of Navy Seals and their families. Excellent, suspenseful reading. I can't believe I actually fit in a book for pleasure between work and studying all the time. It was a nice change of pace and a good escape for a little while.

I finished my second course in three weeks instead of five and am scheduled to take the vendor exam this Wednesday. I can't believe I'm actually doing it. Last time I bombed out big time but this time I'm doing great. I'm so excited at the prospect of actually getting a job that makes a little money. After my year of moves, it will be nice to build my savings back up.

I really am trying to become a morning person but I'm just not sure I'll ever succeed. Ray always had to sleep by the alarm because I have this uncanny ability to either turn it off in my sleep or I just don't hear it, period. When Ray was alive I can remember the five times I was awake to hear it go off in 25 years of marriage, he would turn it right off and get right up. Not me. It is as though my butt is glued to that bed and it takes a miracle to finally get it loose so I can get up. I can fall back asleep on the toilet and stay there for an hour - without falling off. It never ceases to amaze me. This morning was no exception - it was one of those rush, rush, rush mornings. Leah is like me, not a morning person. By the time I get her butt unglued and she finds something she'll wear (that's another blog entry by itself) and she gets her hair brushed (another blog entry) and she looks in the mirror for ten minutes (another blog entry) and begs to use some of my makeup etc.... I am exhausted. Of course the dogs have to be walked, I have to shower, I insist that Leah eat something . . . I nix the chocolate chip cookies so that can also be a battle. This morning I was so distracted - "Mama, I can't find any panties . . . " "Did you look in your drawer?" . . . . "No . . . . " "Mama, I can't find my hair brush . . . " Did you look in your bathroom? . . . " "No . . . " The puppies don't help. They steal my socks (and other under clothes that just happen to be on the bed next to me) and run under the bed with them. They get under my feet and I'm tripping over them. Needless to say I got dressed in a hurry this morning and unlike my daughter, I didn't even glance in the mirror once I got my makeup on. I was doing at least three things while I was attempting to button my blouse. I got to work and worked at my desk for an hour then did my rounds to the finance office on the fourth floor, to see my boss on the third floor, check my mailbox on the first floor then swung by the central office to check on the registration cards on my way back to the bathroom and my office. While I washed my hands I noticed that something didn't look quite right. Upon closer inspection I saw that in my haste I had only fastened one hook on my bra that hooks in the front. Yes, I was wearing a white blouse, no I wasn't wearing a camisole and yes I had flashed a bunch of cleavage all around the church. I know I'm new but I sure wish one of the women had pulled me aside and said something like "uh . . . you need to hook your bra." How I didn't feel it, I'll never know. I tried to look on the bright side . . . my co-workers now know I don't stuff my bra and it's obvious I haven't had surgery . . . just in case anyone was wondering.

So, that's my saga for the day. I need to think about heading to bed as I've got an early day tomorrow. It will be a busy one too. I'm glad to be busy. I like my new office and all the new office furniture. There is also a window that overlooks the playground so I can watch the little ones when they go outside. This week is Vacation Bible School so I'm sure I'll have some wild tale about that by the end of the week.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Glad that you finally got that alone time and were able to read a book! What is the title of it? It sounds very interesting and good. I am always on the outlook for another good book to read.

You are doing so well at your classes! I'm so proud of you.

Sam made me into a morning person because it ends up that he's one. Once his eyes open he's up for the rest of the day. He's always been that way. If he wasn't that way I still wouldn't be a morning person.

Would love to see those "other" blog entries! :)